Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 29, 2010

A Hymn

United to Christ, as the branch to the vine,
I am my dear Savior's, he also is mine ;
He calls me a member, while he is the head;
And while I cleave to him, I have nothing to dread.

He is my Redeemer, and for me he died;
He was, for my sins, on the cross crucified;
Oh! grant me thy grace, my dear Savior, to be
More thankful for all thy great mercies to me.

Without thee I'm wretched, and mourn all the day;
It is thy blest presence drives sadness away.
With Christ as my friend I will smile at my foes;
He bestows his sweet love, and dispels all my woes.

How long I shall live, I care not to know;
United to Jesus, I'm ready to go,
Where angels are sounding his praises abroad;
I long to sing, with them, sweet anthems to God.

Princeton, Gibson County, Ind., 1863.

No comments:

Post a Comment