Search This Blog

Friday, July 2, 2010

Card Playing in the Home

Playing cards for "pastime," or as an "innocent amusement" soon becomes a passion, and when once fixed, a man will forego home, family, business and pleasure, and suffer the loss of his all, for the exciting scenes of the card-table. That accomplished writer, the late Dr. Holland, of Springfield, Mass., said: "I have all my days had a card-playing community open to my observation, and I am yet unable to believe that that which is the universal resort of the starved in soul and intellect, which has never in any way linked to itself tender, elevating, or beautiful associations—the tendency of which is to unduly absorb the attention from more weighty matters, can recommend itself to the favor of Christ's disciples. The presence of culture and genius may embellish, but can never dignify it." "I have this moment," said Dr. Holland, "ringing in my ears the dying injunction of my father's early friend, ' Keep your son from playing cards. Over them I have murdered time and lost heaven.'" Fathers and mothers, keep your sons from cards in the "home circle."

Anon

No comments:

Post a Comment