Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

A Brief Colloquy

"Our doctrine," said a Universalist preacher, "is certainly the most merciful; it embraces in its charity the 'whole race of man, and divests God of all appearance of that severe justice, which you say requires him to damn sinners. Surely, if you would consult your peace of mind, you would discard your gloomy views and embrace it."

"True," says the plain Christian addressed, "it seems to be very charitable; but is it true? Suppose I should trust in it, is there any way of rectifying my mistake, if in the other world I should find it to be erroneous? I feel no disposition to hazard my soul, and as Universalism will, if true, cover may case at all events, I will in the meantime trust to the good old way, of believing in Christ for salvation, and testifying my sincerity by a holy life."

No comments:

Post a Comment