Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Poor Yet Rich

A gentleman was walking across a meadow a few days ago, when he overtook a beggar bending under the weight of three score years and ten, carrying a bundle of sticks on his back. "Well, my friend," said the gentleman, "where do you think you will be in twenty years?"

"In heaven, I hope, sir," cheerfully replied the poor old man. On further conversation, the gentleman found that this poor man was rich in faith, and rejoiced even in poverty, having a trust in Christ.

Surprised at the clear scriptural views of salvation expressed by the poor man, the gentleman inquired where he had got all his knowledge. "I will tell you," said he. "About nine or ten years ago, I was begging at one of the houses in the Royal Crescent at Brighton. After waiting for some time, as no one gave me anything, I turned and walked away; a servant then came after me, and said that a lady had sent me a penny and a little tract, which she desired I would read, It was that little book, sir, which taught me about faith and about being born again."

No comments:

Post a Comment