Search This Blog

Monday, June 21, 2010

The French Pedlar

There once lived in France an old pedlar. He used to travel about the country, mending clocks and umbrellas. This he had done for a great many years; and people used to expect him when his time came round. But he began to grow too old for work.

At last, one day he came to a place called Gap, and he went to the inn. When the landlord saw him, he said, "Well, my old friend, I'm glad to see you; my clocks are wanting you very much."

But the pedlar said, "Thank you for your kindness, sir. I've liked to serve you for many years, but I am afraid my work will soon be over. I think I shall die soon. You have been always very kind to me; and I am sure you will promise to do something for me before I die. This is all that belongs to me. Here is my pack; and here is my stick; here also are two letters.

"I have a nephew living in Paris; he has never cared much about me; but will you send him this letter as soon as I am gone? If he takes my goods, all good and well; but if he won't, then please to peruse this other letter, and it will tell you what is to be done with them."

The pedlar soon after died. The landlord sent the letter to his nephew in Paris; and an answer came back, that he would have nothing to do with his old uncle, or with any of his goods. He said he wanted no rubbish.

So then the landlord opened the other letter, which told him, that as the good-for-nothing nephew refused the things, he might have them for himself, as a return for all his kindness, and particularly he was to take off the top of the stick, and see what was inside it.

In the pack there was nothing but the old man's working tools, and a few clothes. But when the landlord proceeded to open the stick, presently live gold coins dropped out; and on searching further down, he took out bank-notes to the amount of ten thousand francs.

Thus was the kind man well rewarded; and the hard-hearted, proud nephew well served.

This story reminds one of other people, who, like the nephew, refuse things which God offers them. They think salvation a poor thing, or not worth having. They had much rather have money and worldly pleasures. But what a mistake it will be found to be at the end, when God comes to give people their reward. They will find, then, that it would have been far better to have been holy and good than to have despised salvation. For heaven and all its glories are for those who love and serve God in this life; and hell and all its miseries are for those that forget and despise Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment